Department of Public Safety
After A Fire
What to do after a fire
- If you are insured, contact your insurance company immediately.
- If you are not insured and need immediate assistance for temporary housing, food, and medication, contact the local Red Cross chapter for assistance or ask the Fire Department to contact them for you.
- Do not enter your residence until the Fire Department advises you that it is safe to do so.
- Check with the Fire Department to determine if it is safe to use the utilities or if the utilities have been disconnected. Do not reconnect utilities yourself.
- As soon as possible, with assistance from the Fire Department, try to locate valuables such as money, jewelry, and important records and documents.
- If you must leave your home, contact the Police or Sheriff’s Department and request them to maintain a watch for your property.
- For insurance purposes, keep a record of all expenses related to the fire loss.
- If you have a mortgage on your home, notify the mortgage company of your loss.